If one or more of your icons are not displaying correctly, or that your icon cache is corrupted, then you might consider rebuilding the icon cache to reset and reload the icon images into the icon cache in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
The icon cache is located at the hidden system folder location below:
Automatically Rebuild the Icon Cache
1. Download the file (https://hostr.co/UbftJ0iAA9IY)
2. Save the file to your desktop, and run it.
3. Click/tap on Run when prompted.
4. Follow the instructions in the command prompt to rebuild the Icon Cache.
5. Restart your computer to generate a new IconCache.db file.
To Manually Rebuild the Icon Cache using the Command Prompt
1. Close and save anything that you are working on. This command will kill explorer and restart the computer when completed.
2. Open a command prompt in Windows 7 or Windows 8.
3. In the command prompt, Copy and paste each command line below exactly as is one at a time and press enter after each command.
WARNING: The last command will restart the computer, so be sure to close and save anything that you are working on first.
- ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A shutdown /r /f /t 00:
4. The IconCache.db file has now been rebuilt.
All credits goes to sevenforums.com